The Archive of the Leipzig Public Transport Corporation
The Archives of the Leipzig Public Transport Corporation (Leipziger Verkehrsbetriebe) and its Holdings
In 2000, the Leipziger Verkehrsbetriebe (LVB – the Leipzig Transport Company) celebrated its 128th anniversary.
Facts & Files was commissioned to compile an inventory of the company’s archive. The results of this work were published in a brochure which serves as a guide through the archive.
As well as writing a short historical essay about the company and its predecessors, Frank Drauschke and Peter Effenberg gave an overview over the individual holdings and collections of the archive and the corporation’s library.
The roots of the municipal company lie in a enterprise with the English name Leipzig Tramways Company Limited: In 1872, the city of Leipzig gave the license of the horse tramway to a Mr. Hutton from London to found Leipzig Tramways Company Limited. The company was merged into the Leipzig Tramways Company Limited later in 1896, when horses were substituted by electricity.